On Shaky Ground: Engineering Safer Skies Through Performance-Based Seismic Design
San Francisco International Airport's (SFO) new air traffic control tower (ATCT) has been engineered to withstand extreme weather and seismic activity. Read the full article by Walter P Moore’s Rafael Sabelli, Bill Andrews, and Blair Hanuschak in the 2016 Annual Showcase issue of Passenger
Distinctions of the new SFO ATCT
- Tallest vertical post-tensioned self-righting seismic structure in the U.S.
- First U.S. use of tuned mass dampers in a seismically controlled structure
- First ATCT to employ a performance-based seismic design with vertical post-tensioning
- First ATCT delivered in partnership with the local airport using a design-build delivery method
- Only ATCT with a 235º unobstructed, column-free view for controllers in the cab