Flood Protection Forum
In August 2021, Walter P Moore published a white paper titled An Introduction to Flood Protection: What Owners Need to Know to Protect Their Properties, which was authored by Doug Coenen, principal and civil engineering business development manager in Walter P Moore’s Infrastructure Group, and Ray Drexler, principal and senior project manager in Walter P Moore Diagnostics. The white paper focuses on the numerous flood protection approaches and building owner needs and provides an in-depth review of the flood protection process.
Because flooding and water-related events are becoming more prevalent around the globe, Walter P Moore aggregated this forum to provide easier access and serve as the all-inclusive resource for flood-related content.
Doug Coenen, Principal with Walter P Moore, sat with us to talk about designing for severe weather, how its changed the way we look at design, and how we can build more resilient buildings. Listen to our thoughts on how the industry will navigate design as our weather continues to change.
Ray Drexler was interviewed by Gerry Donohue, host of the American Council of Engineering Companies’ Engineering Influence podcast to talk about the white paper as well as the current state of flood protection in the engineering industry and the impact of flood on building owners.
Ray Drexler participated in a videocast with Katie Johns, managing editor of Storm Water Solutions to discuss the whitepaper entitled “An Introduction to Flood Protection: What Owners Need to Know to Protect Their Properties.”
In the videocast, Drexler addresses a number of flood protection approaches and includes an in-depth review of proper flood protection building owners and municipalities.
- Implementing Effective Flood Protection
- Critical Steps for Effective Flood Protection
- Resiliency and Approaches
- Defining Wet and Dry Floodproofing, Active and Passive Systems
- Understanding Flooding Concerns and Three Steps to Address Flood Protection
- Examining the Final Three Steps to Project Continuum
- Early Warning Flood Forecasting and Properly Meeting the Owner’s Needs
- Getting Schooled: Floodproofing Existing Structures for Increased Resilience
- Passing the Test: Flood Gate Design Weathers Three Major Storms
- Flood Mitigation: Protecting Your Assets
- Disaster Averted: Flood Gate Design Weathers Three Major Storms
- Understanding Flood Risk
- Worst-Case Scenario: Resilient Design Weathers the Storm
- Houston Under Water: Untold Stories of Hurricane Harvey
- Galveston Bay Park: A Multipurpose Solution
- TMC Stood Ready When Hurricane Harvey Hit